Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A Full Belly

I have just realized that one of the most peaceful and satisfying parts of the day for me is in the morning just after everyone has been fed.

I've never felt this before.
I'm new to living in the country.
We have cats, and dogs, a horse, 75 hens, 3 roosters, and a handful of kids.
We've been here for less than a year and I am still adapting.

Upon waking, there is a lot of hustle and bustle and scurrying about within our modest little shack.
Once I get the coffee going, the kids start bumping into one another as they dress, wash, comb their hair, and make their beds. Then its time to feed the animals.

We didn't plan on assigning animals to each of us but it just kind of worked out that way. I greet and feed the horse, my 11yr. old daughter waters and feeds the hens, my 10yr. old girl takes care of the dogs, my 7yr. old son feeds the cats, and my youngest boy rotates, helping wherever he's needed most. After that, we all get into the kitchen to get our breakfast going. When breakfast is finished and everything is all cleaned up, I feel so good. There's a sense of accomplishment and peace knowing that everyone has a full belly and is ready for the rest of the day.

More and more I am loving this part of the day. Which is interesting because I am ordinarily not a morning person. But these chores can be done with minimal talking and this time of conversation-less activity gives me that little bit of waking time which I need before I have to start answering a million questions and giving instructions.

These morning have been good to me.
Thank God for the full belly.

My heart goes out to all of those individuals who are homeless, or penniless, or orphaned and in such great need and don't have the luxury of starting their day with a full belly. They are in my heart and mind and prayers. May those who suffer in this life experience great joy, peace, and happiness in the next life to come.

No comments: